The Unexpected Call

As I sat in my dimly lit apartment, staring at the blank walls, I couldn't help but feel like I'd hit rock bottom. The economic downturn had taken its toll on my business, and I was struggling to make ends meet. My phone, once a symbol of connectivity and convenience, now felt like a constant reminder of my failures.

Many people assume that those of us with connections to influential individuals or access to power are immune to problems, but that's far from the truth. We have our own struggles too.

I was taken aback when my friend initially thought my WhatsApp and Facebook accounts had been hacked. But after verifying my identity through video and voice calls, they realized it was genuinely me reaching out for help.

Just as I was about to give in to despair, my phone buzzed with an incoming call from an unexpected number. It was my friend, Tunde, someone I had considered a close acquaintance, but not someone I would have thought to reach out to in my time of need.

"Tunde, it's been ages!" I exclaimed, trying to hide the desperation in my voice.

"Hey, man, I know it's been a while, but I saw your WhatsApp message and I had to call," he said, his voice filled with concern. "What's going on? You're not the type to ask for help easily."

I hesitated, unsure of how to reveal the depth of my struggles. But something about Tunde's genuine tone put me at ease, and I found myself opening up about my financial struggles, my fears, and my doubts.

To my surprise, Tunde listened attentively, offering words of encouragement and support. He didn't judge me or try to offer unsolicited advice; he simply listened, and in that moment, that's all I needed.

As we spoke, I realized that Tunde had faced his own share of challenges, despite his connections to influential people. He understood what it meant to feel like you're drowning, and his empathy was a lifeline.

In the end, Tunde offered to help me out financially, but more importantly, he reminded me that even in the darkest moments, there are people who #care, people who will #listen without #judgment, and people who will #help you find a way forward.

I hung up the phone, feeling a sense of hope that I hadn't felt in months. The unexpected call had reminded me that true friends can come from unexpected places, and that even in a country like Nigeria, where trust is a scarce commodity, there are still people who will show up for you when it matters most.

Let's not forget that everyone has their own battles to fight, regardless of their connections or status. Let's strive to be #understanding and #empathetic towards one another.

Written by OBAAdeyemiO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Venus and Serena Williams: A bold and audacious promise coming from a father. ~ Olajuwon Obalola